Select Page

Arbitration awards of less than $350,000 can be entered as judgments in the District Court and awards over that sum can be entered as judgments in the High Court.  There is a simplified process for one of the parties to file an application with the appropriate court to enter the award as a judgment.  The application includes an affidavit which attaches either original or duly certified copies of the arbitration agreement and award.  If the other party does not file an application opposing the entry of judgment within 10 working days of service or a lesser time set by the Court then the party seeking enforcement can send a letter to the court to have the award entered as a judgment.  There are limited grounds on which a party can oppose the entry of an award as a judgment, which are set out in article 36 of Schedule 1 of the Arbitration Act 1996.